The world has shifted dramatically in the first weeks of March 2020 and we at Aspen Leadership Group are taking steps to help protect our clients, candidates, and team members. Our primary goal continues to be keeping our ALG community members as safe as possible, and a secondary goal has emerged – to support our community in navigating this difficult time as you continue to do searches, work with your donors and volunteers, and manage increasingly virtual teams.
To that end we are drawing on our entire team to bring you resources on how to adapt to this quickly changing environment. Our team is made up of leaders who have spent years in emergency response organizations or as chief advancement officers during past turbulent times. Our company was started as a virtual team and we conduct the majority of our interactions using video conferencing, so we can also share with you our best practices to connect virtually yet still personally with donors and volunteers, candidates, and staff members.
This page will continuously be updated with resources from our team and examples from other organizations.
- How to reach out to your donors and volunteers
- How to create successful virtual meetings using video-conferencing
- How to successfully manage and work as part of virtual teams
- Virtual onboarding for new employees
- Maintaining inclusion in a time of chaos
If we can be helpful in other aspects of work that you are grappling with, we’re only an email or phone call away. If you are grappling with something, others likely are too. I’m confident we have a team member or member of our larger network who can help you, and through that exchange we’ll create more tools for this resource hub.
Above all, we wish you, your colleagues, and your family members good health and continued safety.
Founding Partner and Senior Consultant
Aspen Leadership Group
- Advisory Board for the Arts, Arts Resilience Center, with short, mid, and long-term crisis management planning resources for arts organizations
- iWave, Webinar with ALG’s Kathleen Loehr on activating women donors and volunteers in times of crisis
- Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE), COVID-19 Discussion Community for higher education advancement professionals. Additional CASE resources and messaging from other colleges and universities
- Museum Trustee Association, list of resources and museum responses
- Association for Healthcare Philanthropy, COVID-19 Resource Center and AHP Huddle for active forum among healthcare philanthropy professionals
- Chronicle of Philanthropy, Responding to the Coronavirus Outbreak: Resources to Help Nonprofits
- Torrey Helm LLC, How different kinds of crises place similar demands on institutional resources and responses
- Moving in-person events and conferences to virtual platforms
Nonprofit Sector Resources
- National Council of Nonprofits provides a general list of nonprofit resources, including HR, finance, and operations recommendations, as well as policy updates
- Independent Sector COVID-19 site with legislative and policy updates and survey’s of what the sector needs
- Massachusetts Nonprofit Network offers a comprehensive list of federal emergency relief efforts and policy updates that nonprofits and small businesses can access
Public Health Updates
- World Health Organization’s COVID-19 advice for the public.
- From the CDC: Interim Guidance for Businesses and Employers to Plan and Respond to Coronavirus Disease and Mitigation Strategies for Communities with Local COVID-19 Transmission
- U.S. Department of Labor – Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) information on COVID-19
- Center for Disaster Philanthropy, COVID-19 overview and areas of critical need